Career Center Stipends
Undergraduate students interested in exploring career options in the public, private and non-profit sectors are encouraged to pursue a summer internship. To help offset the costs of unpaid internships, the Career Center provides a limited number of stipends to qualified students.
Undergraduate students can apply for a merit award, up to $1,000, or a need based award, up to $3000. Award amounts are determined by several factors including, but not limited to, number of weeks working, hours per week, location, budget and financial need.
Internships must be unpaid and last a minimum of six weeks, full- or part-time. Internships may be located in the U.S. or abroad.
The following are not eligible to receive a stipend:
1. Students working on political campaigns
2. Students participating in a program they must pay to attend
3. Students interning or performing research for a WashU or WashU Med department (*please apply for an award with the Office of Undergraduate Research instead).
– Stipend applicants must be current undergraduate students returning full time for at least one undergraduate semester in the fall after their internship.
– Students must secure an internship offer prior to applying for a stipend.
– Internships must be unpaid and last a minimum of six weeks, full- or part-time.
While not required, we recommend coming into the Career Center before submitting your stipend application. You can stop by the Career Center during walk in hours to meet with a Career Peer or schedule an appointment to meet one on one with a Career Advisor.
- Career Peer Walk in Hours are Monday – Friday from 10 am – 5 pm. No apt. required.
- Career Advising appointments can be scheduled online, in person, or by calling our office.
Select walk in hours for questions related to internship stipends will also take place on the following dates/times:
- Wednesday, February 20: 1 – 3 pm, Career Center lobby
- Friday, March 8: 10 am – 12 pm, Career Center lobby
- Tuesday, March 19: 12 – 2 pm, Career Center lobby
Application deadlines are March 1 and April 1. Decisions will be made by April 1 and May 1. Students who receive offers after April 1st can apply to the waitlist and will be contacted by the Career Center on the possibility of a stipend.
If you have further questions, please contact the Career Center at (314) 935-5930.